Saturday, July 26, 2008

A case in point

I have just remembered a incident in my life
which I think is important enough to record
before i get too old and forget. While it is easy to be a cynic
and trust someone with caution these days, experiences like this
however insignificant feels like a hot bath at the end
of a tiring day.

When I was a little boy I had ventured far from home.
The cloud dust was gathering and there was chance of storm.
There was my mate also when the rain began to pour.
The sweet day we had looked forward to began to feel sour.
The streets were unfamiliar and the people strange.
God o god we were far out of our range.
This is when we realized it's not good and we were lost.
Going back home was what I needed the most.
Trying to be brave i looked here and there.
That's when I heard a coarse voice from somewhere.
I turned around and looked at a old poor man.
In one hand he held his cycle and the other his can.
He asked "where is your home son? why are you here?"
I said trying to play was when got lost we were.
He gave me the plastic which covered him from water.
Asked me to come sit on his cycle and not fear.
He called out his son and to take as well my buddy.
And the four of us set out in the roads that were muddy.
And in this journey he taught me to enjoy the rain
And not to be afraid of it, to embrace the unknown and not to fear it.
He told me how he lost money in riding us this far,
He also taught me that it wasn't the most important by far.
He was probably a great man and I am thankful to have known him
I went home and forgot all about it the next day
Now that I am wiser i think this memory is going to stay.